Applications received by the deadline are reviewed by UArctic’s Membership Committee, who will prepare a final list of nominations for the Council of UArctic who then votes to elect new members during their next annual meeting.
To submit an application for UArctic membership, please follow these procedures:
1. Review UArctic's Membership Guidelines
2. Request an application form
Send an email to the UArctic International Secretariat requesting a new member online form. From the link provided you will be able to submit information as an applying member. There are detailed instructions in each section of the form; please read through these carefully.
3. Collect information for the application
Before filling in the form, please collect as much of the needed information as possible about your institution/organization, including the basic facts and contact people for the roles listed below. The basic facts are added on the form, but to add a contact person (name, title, email, phone), please email the UArctic International Secretariat. Information for other contacts can be added after being voted in as a member.
- Year founded/established
- Total number of students (if applicable)
- Total number of staff (incl. # of academic staff)
- Website address
- Current annual operating budget (in euros)
- Description/profile text (max. 300 words)
- Strategic/thematic focus areas (bullet points, short and concise)
- Fields of study available (if applicable)
- Logo (preferably in PNG format)
- Location of institution/organization
- Head of institution/organization
- Administrative contact for head of institution/organization
- Representatives to the Council of UArctic (primary and alternate)
- Person to handle UArctic Membership Fee payments
- International Studies or Affairs contact person
4. Fill in the form
Please note that information added to the form will not be saved unless you reach the last step and click "Submit changes".
5. Submit a letter of intent
In addition to filling in the form, applicants must also submit a letter of intent signed by the head of institution/organization. Written in free form, this letter needs to state the main interests for joining the UArctic network, as well as indicating that the application for membership is supported by the institution/organization leadership. The letter of intent is to be sent by e-mail attachment to the UArctic International Secretariat by the application deadline (the deadline for 2019 has passed).
6. Wait for confirmation
Once the membership form and the letter of intent have been received, a confirmation e-mail will be sent which includes further details on the next steps.
Note: Should an application receive approval for Council consideration by UArctic's Membership Committee, then a representative from the applicant institution/organization or an appointed proxy representative is expected to be present at the next Council meeting to give a presentation and answer any questions the members of Council may have. Applicants who do not fulfil this requirement will have their membership application deferred to the following year, when the same conditions will apply.
If you have any questions or require assistance with the application process, please contact the UArctic International Secretariat.