The field for this position is physical geography, which aims to understand the diversity of geomorphologic, ecological, climate, and socio-ecological systems in different spatial and temporal scales, and the related interaction mechanisms in the changing environment.
The main responsibilities of Associate Professor are:
- Carry out and promote research in the field;
- Teach at all levels of education;
- Participate in project activities, in the acquisition of national and international research funding, and in international research networks, and
- Participate in other activities of the department.
Position requirements include:
- Hold a suitable doctoral degree, have good teaching skills, and have the prerequisites to fulfill the qualification requirements of a professor by the end of the Tenure Track term;
- Extensive and innovative methodological expertise on, e.g., geospatial modelling and machine learning, big data, and data mining methods;
- Expertise in developing teaching in physical geography; and
- Fluency in the English language and ability to supervise students and teach in English.
The following will be considered advantageous:
- Scientific publications and other scientifically valuable research findings,
- Provide proof of track record of acquiring external funding,
- Teaching experience,
- Experience in university-level supervision,
- Other achievements in teaching and supervision, and
- Proficiency in Finnish.
Applications must include:
- Curriculum vitae (curriculum vitae template for researchers);
- Portfolio of teaching merits in accordance with the faculty’s instructions;
- Complete list of publications compiled in accordance with the Ministry of Education and Culture’s classification;
- A work plan (maximum of three pages), in which the applicant makes a research proposal for the next four years, should they be appointed, (including the acquisition of external funding and development of a research group), and describes how they intend to achieve the merits required for promotion to a professorship in the tenure track;
- Selected publications (up to 10) with which the applicant wishes to demonstrate their qualification and merits for the position (this may also include manuscripts that have not yet been approved for publication but are in the final stages of the evaluation process);
- List of selected publications;
- Copies of the applicant’s academic degree certificates/diplomas; and
- Copies of certificates/diplomas relating to the applicant’s language proficiency, if not indicated in the academic degree certificates/diplomas.
Documents, excluding publications, should be submitted in English in case international experts are used to assess the applicant’s qualification and merits.
Application deadline: 22 February 2023
For more information, go to: Full position description