We will discuss Policy Shift, Demographic Shift, Green Shift, Governance Shift and Shift in Ocean Technology. These great shifts are all taking place in the Arctic and are influencing the Arctic. What do they all mean for the future of the High North, especially for young people?
In addition to the thematic panels we will present the 2022 winners of the awards for High North Hero and High North Young Entrepreneurs, and the best High North Scenario from this year’s student group.
Venue: Online and Stormen Library, Bodø, Norway
Main host: Andreas Raspotnik, senior researcher, High North Center
This program is not finalised and will be subject to additions, updates and changes.
Wednesday April 6
10:30-12:00: Registration, coffee and mingling
12:00-12:15: Welcome to High North Dialogue 2022
- Frode Mellemvik, Director, High North Center for Business and Governance, Nord University
- Hanne Solheim Hansen, Rector, Nord University
12:20-13:20: Policy Shift
What are the Great Shifts in Policy, and how do they affect the Arctic?
Liv Monica Stubholt, Partner, law firm Selmer DA
13:30-14:30: Green Shift
According to the Norwegian Government, the Green Shift requires a restructuring that includes all areas of society and actors. Innovation and technology development is one of the keys to the Green Shift, and business is a key force. There is a massive push for green industrialization, and the panel will concentrate on the opportunities this brings to the Arctic.
Petter Nore, Professor, Nord University
- Jan Christian Vestre, Minister of Trade and Industry, Norway (tbc)
- Tomas Hörnfeldt, Vice President Sustainable Business & Public Affairs at SSAB
- Anders Tørud, Project Manager, Energi I Nord
- Student Global Management
15:30-16:30: Pandemic Shift
– and International Cooperation in Education and Research
For two years international cooperation has been challenged by the pandemic. It has been difficult to cross boarders physically, but digitally international contact has probably increased. In this panel we will discuss challenges faced by universities during the pandemic. What measures did each institution and country take? Could something had been done differently? What has each institution learnt? Are there any positive outcomes of the pandemic for higher education and research, and what are the most negative consequences? Will post-pandemic international cooperation in higher education and research be different than before?
June Borge Doornich, Vice Dean, Nord University Business School
- Gry Alsos, Dean, Nord University Business School
- Sergey Vasiliev, Deputy Director MIEP at MGIMO (Moscow State Institute of International Relations)
- Zhang Xin, Deputy Director, School of Advanced International and Area Studies of East China Normal University (tbc)
- Laurence Smith, Professor, Brown University
16:35-17:35 Governance Shift
Elana W. Rowe, Researcher, Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI)
- Michael Mann, EU ambassador to the Arctic
- Silje Karine Muotka, President of the Norwegian Saami Parliament
- Mikhail Pogodaev, Special Envoy of the Russian Chairmanship in the Arctic Council on Indigenous Peoples and Regional Cooperation
- Ida Maria Pinnerød, Mayor of Bodø Municipality
- Student Global Management
17:40-18:10: High North Young Entrepreneurs
High North Young Entrepreneurs is an international pitch competition of Arctic-related business ideas of young entrepreneurs and start-ups. The three finalists will give a presentation and the conference participants will vote for the best project.
Bjørg Helene Jenssen, Department Manager, Innovation Norway
19:00: Conference Dinner
Radisson Blu Hotel, straight across the street from Stormen Library
Thursday April 7
08:00-08:30: Registration, coffee and mingling
08:30-08:35: Introduction to day two
08:35-09:35: Ocean Technology Shift
Achieving the green transition requires innovative and climate-smart technological solutions. How can ocean businesses contribute to the systemic shift needed for reaching international commitments such as the Paris agreement?
Jan-Gunnar Winther, CEO, Norwegian Centre for the Ocean and the Arctic
- Bjørnar Skjæran, Minister of Fisheries and Ocean in Norway (tbc)
- Evgeniy Ambrosov, Chair of the Arctic Economic Council
- Vegard Johansen, CEO SINTEF Ocean AS
- Helene Tofte, Director for International Cooperation and Climate at the Norwegian Shipowners Association
- Student Global Management
09:40-10:10: High North Scenarios
Students from the Master Course International governance and business in the High North participate in a Scenario workshop. We will see a performance from the student group with the best scenario.
Elena Dybtsyna, Associate Professor, Business School & High North Center, Nord University
Anatoli Bourmistrov, Professor, Nord University Business School
The Award is handed over by Leonid M. Surguchev, Managing Director, LUKOIL Overseas North Shelf
10:10 – 10:40 Coffee break
10:40 – 11:10 Business Index North – Arctic Demographic Index
How is it really going in the North?
Bjørn Olsen, Professor, Nord University Business School
- Erlend Bullvåg, Associate Professor, Nord University Business School
- Andrey Mineev, Researcher, Nord University Business School
11:15 – 12:30 Demographic Shift
The High North is increasingly getting older. Young people are tempted by opportunities elsewhere, and are moving to the south. How can people be tempted by the opportunities in the north?
Stein Vidar Loftås, Director of Communications, Sparebank1 Nord-Norge
12:30 – 13:30 Lunch
13:30-14:45 Ambassadors’ Panel
The Arctic today, seen from the Ambassadors of the Arctic Nations.
Arne O. Holm, Editor in Chief of High North News
- Eivind Vad Petersson, State Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Norway
- Teimuraz Ramishvili, Russian Ambassador to Norway
- Deirdre Kent, Canadian Ambassador to Norway
- Nicolas De La Grandville, EU Ambassador to Norway (tbc)
- Louise Bang Jespersen, Danish Ambassador to Norway
- Maria Forslund, Deputy Head of Mission at the Embassy of Finland in Norway
- Ingibjörg Davíðsdóttir, Icelandic Ambassador to Norway (tbc)
- Cecilia Björner, Swedish Ambassador to Norway (tbc)
- Sharon Hudson-Dean, Chargé d’Affaires, U.S. Embassy to Norway (tbc)
14.50-15.10: Previous High North Heroes
Interview with Felix Tschudi, the High North Hero of 2020
15:15-15:45: High North Hero 2022
Anu Fredrikson, Executive Director, Arctic Frontiers
15:45-16:00: Summary and HND 2023
More information about event, updated program and registration here.